3.02.2011

before and after: table lamps

I found these candlestick lamps at the GoodWill last week when Cameron and I were on the hunt for a new desk for me. There's only one shown below, but they're a pair. I was pretty certain they had potential, so I embarked on (yet another) project :)


Two candlestick lamp bases

 Two lampshades (also from GoodWill)

I taped the hardware and the cord with painter's tape, and then spray-painted the lamp bases with grey primer, followed by black satin, and then finished off with cream satin. Each layer took about 2 coats.



In between coats, I worked on the lamp shade. I actually like the shade with the scalloped edge - the fabric is very light, and the strips are almost like ribbons. The one below, however - not so much. 



I chose 2 yards of lightweight, cotton zebra-print at my local fabric store. I peeled off the top and bottom fabric edges and tore off the pleated outer shade, leaving the just the inner plastic supports. Then I started draping fabric over the shade to see what worked best.


I settled on large pleating. One hot glue gun and a roll of grosgrain ribbon later, and I had a finished recovered lamp shade.



The last step was to lightly sand the edges of the lamp bases after they had dried completely. I wanted the finished project to have a slightly rustic look, and that did the trick.


No comments:

Post a Comment