1.03.2011

Farewell 2010

If there is one thing I've always hated about the concept of the New Year, it's resolutions. They are trite and repetitive, and I've always felt as though I'm setting myself up for failure by creating unrealistic expectations of what I can achieve in 365 days.

But then, the universe slapped me in the face.


It went ahead and handed me 2010 - a year that brought me so very many blessings and challenges and lessons that it's hard to follow-up a year such as that and claim that getting everything you want without learning a million things about yourself isn't possible. 2010 was special.

Cassian gave us a full year of smiles, babbles, snuggles, hugs and kisses. He is the definition of joy. Parenthood is hard, no doubt. But it's about a bajillion times more rad than it is hard.

We got hitched :) Four years, one dog, two cats, a baby and about 3,483,247 belly laughs later, Cameron and I made it official. We enjoyed a lovely ceremony officiated by our best friends, and attended by our closest loved one. It was perfect for us. I had imagined my wedding for so. many. years. But here's the thing about weddings - they're aren't just about the bride, no matter how many times she's dreamed of her big day. So, while I might have imagined my wedding, I had little imagined our wedding. Suffice it to say, the latter exceeded my expectations immensely. It was a perfect day. Like parenthood, marriage presents its difficulties. But, as Cameron likes to remind me - "you married this guy". Yes, yes I did - a promise is a promise is a promise, and I wouldn't change a single thing.

Other notable events:
- I landed a great new job as the Special Events Manager at a local theater. I love being back in a theater. I love working 40 hours and being home more with my family. I love my new job.
- Cameron more than doubled his photography income over 2009. He also worked tremendously hard to define his style, and he and I have gotten much closer to defining the CWP brand.
- My wonderful mother-in-law, Pamela, moved in with us for 11 months. It gave she and I the chance to get to know, respect and appreciate one another in a way that many women do not get to know their mother-in-laws in the first few early years of marriage. It also gave Cass the chance to super-bond with his Gammy. Pam moved back to Utah in December, and while we are so happy for, and proud of, her, she is missed daily.
- I saw my own family more in 2010 than I have in yeeeears. I am certain this is due to the presence of Cassian, on both our parts, but still...it is lovely. I miss them every day, and love getting to see my parents, brothers, grandma, et. al. with more frequency.
- My best friend Pilar and my dear friend Lauren both got engaged to wonderful men. They will both make beautiful brides this fall. We have a photo to reshoot sooner than later :)



2010 presented it's trials as well. My family mourned the loss of my extraordinary maternal Grandfather. Grandpa Swick was special; he had a long, beautiful, full life that he shared with all he loved, and that is what I choose to remember. I like to occasionally drink an Irish Coffee in memoriam :) We also said good-bye to Erin's father Jim who, to be honest, passed too soon. Jim was a wonderful man, and I was blessed to know him for so many years. This year the Buchanans taught me a lot about faith, and resilience, and love.

Farewell 2010. I laughed, I cried, I loved, I lived. It was a great year.

And so, despite a renewed faith in the improbable, I still detest resolutions. I do, however, like goals. And lists. Oh, I very much like lists. So for 2011, I'm presenting a list of moderate, reasonable goals I would like to accomplish. The first item on that list is to maintain this blog with a lot more frequency. And so (hopefully) this week you shall read my 2011 to-do list.

'Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment